The average adult has 2-3 colds each year & kids can have as many as 10 a year, with those yucky symptoms persisting for up to 10 days. The common cold totally stinks—but the flu, an upper respiratory illness caused by the influenza virus, can be much more serious.
OVER 200,000 PEOPLE ARE HOSPITALIZED EACH YEAR IN THE U.S. DUE TO SEASONAL INFLUENZA
TO FLU SHOT? OR NOT TO FLU SHOT?
Before you hop in line for your next flu shot, here are a few things to consider:
FLU SHOTS ARE A NEEDLE IN THE HAYSTACK
Flu viruses are constantly mutating (changing), often changing throughout the same flu season, making it tricky for scientists to keep up.
There are over 300 flu strains.
Scientists formulate flu vaccines by taking an educated guess regarding which 3 strains will impact the coming year.
Hence, the shot has a 1% chance of being effective (each year’s formula is only effective against 3 out of 300 strains).
Vaccine protection begins 2 weeks after receiving the vaccination & lasts up to 3 months.
Many studies suggest that most people who get the flu, have in fact had the flu shot.
the FLU shot has a 1% chance of being effective
LOOK NO FURTHER THAN THE FLU VACCINE INSERT, WHICH INDICATES:
No evidence that the shot is effective; “there have been no controlled clinical trials demonstrating a decrease in influenza after vaccination..”
No data to prove that it doesn’t cause cancer; “this vaccine has not been evaluated for carcinogenic or mutagenic potential.”
WHAT AWESOME STUFF IS IN A FLU SHOT?(THAT'S SARCASM BY THE WAY)
Egg protein (not the best way to create vaccines; increases mutations)
Formaldehyde (linked to cancers)
Human absorbed fetal apparatus (dead human tissue)
Polysorbate 80 (known toxin)
Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
Mercury (linked to autoimmune disease)
Preventing/treating the flu all comes down to your immune system!!!
1. Eat light. This ensures that your body is not focusing its energy on digestion, so it can effectively fight the cold/flu.
2. Hydrate. Water, teas, juice, lemon water, bone broths, etc. Try a soothing cup of hot lemon water or green tea with honey & ginger.
3. Green Juice, Green Juice, Green Juice !!!!! Juice as often as possible!
4. Eat a plant-based diet.
5. Garlic. Eat one or two cloves of raw garlic at the first onset of symptoms. You can chop the garlic fine & let sit for 10 minutes to "activate". Then, mix it with food. You can also cut a clove into chunks & swallow them whole like pills.
6. No dairy/No gluten/No Sugar.
SUPPLEMENTS/HERBS (IMMUNE BUILDING)
1. Raw Vitamin C (We use “Garden of Life Vitamin Code”); 1000mg daily; up to 4000mg day if you have symptoms.
2. Echinacea-we take this herb every other day during cold/flu season to boost immune function. We take 3x a day if we have symptoms.
3. Vitamin D-low levels are related to increase in cold/flu illness, so keep your levels above 50. We take Raw Vitamin D 5000 IU (Vitamin Code) daily & year-round.
4. Mushrooms (Reishi, Maitake, Shitake, Turkey Tail, Chaga, etc.). We take host defense organic mushroom extracts year-round on a rotating schedule for immune support.
5. Quercetin- Research suggests that this bioflavonoid prevents the common cold, fights viruses, soothes airways, & relieves allergy symptoms (prevents the release of histamine).
6. Astragalus-this herb will give your immune system a boost.
7. Probiotic-take a multi-strain product to improve gut health/immune function.
8. Virasara-take this herbal mixture at the onset of symptoms to reduce the duration.
1. Try an essential oil chest rub (“Luv Rub”) by diluting eucalyptus with coconut oil. Rub on chest, neck, wrists.
2. 1 drop peppermint oil roof of mouth/behind ear lobe
3. Rub peppermint & frankincense oil on back of neck & bottoms of feet.
X-CLEAR NASAL SPRAY-cleans, soothes, & protects nasal passages. Purchase at your local health food store.
The neti pot (Ayurveda) is a method of nasal irrigation that helps to prevent illness, as well as quell cold/flu symptoms. Use the neti pot first thing in the morning and at bedtime.
8 oz. warm distilled water
½ teaspoon pink sea salt
3-4 drops Biotic Iodine
3-4 drops Emulsified Vitamin A
Follow Neti pot directions, rinsing each nostril thoroughly.
SAUNA/HOT TUB (or bath)
Heating the body can prevent illness, reduce cold/flu symptoms, & promote healing (similar to a fever, which is the body’s natural way of fighting an infection). Additionally, as your body sweats, it is releasing toxins.
Add a few drops of essential oils to your bath/sauna (ahhh so relaxing).
When your not feeling well, its important to give your body a little TLC. After a soothing bath, apply a dab of luv rub, curl up with a cup of herbal tea, diffuse some oils, then drift off to sleep. Adults should get 7-8 hours of zzz's per night in order to allow the body to heal & repair.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT VACCINATIONS CHECK THESE OUT:
*Always check with your doctor before changing things like diet/exercise/supplement routines/or anything else that may impact your health.