Packing a healthy lunch (or even preparing one at home) can be tricky.
1. Variety is NOT the spice of life; Simplicity is bliss.After you discover a few healthy options that please your taste buds, rotate these gems through-out the week. Having just a few healthy lunch options on your weekly schedule makesmeal planningand constructing a grocery lista breeze.
2. Live on the wild side. If you're worried that all this simplicity will lead to pure boredum, feel free to toss in a new menu item each week & let your crew (kids, spouse, etc.) vote on whether it’s a keeper.
3. Keep the cold stuff cold-to prevent any upset tummies (or worse, food poisoning). Try these non-toxic cold packs.
4. Fresh fruit & veggies, nuts & seeds should be staplesin your lunch box. Easy to pack, nutritious, & delicious!
5. Get your hummus on! Hummus is a nutritional powerhouse that comes in a variety of awesome flavors to please every palate. We’re talking white bean, black bean, sweet potato, chocolate fudge, chocolate chip, etc. So dip or spread to your hearts content! See our favorite recipes/brands below.
6. Don’t drink the koolaid-or any other sugary drink for that matter. Instead, hydrate with filtered water infused with fruits, veggies, & spices. Try using frozen fruit instead of ice cubes & load your H2O with berries, cucumbers, oranges, ginger, etc. So refreshing!
7. Cook in batches- cuz there is nothing better than leftovers for lunch. Many people tend to focus more effort into dinner, making it the most nutritious/tasty meal of the day. So simply cook in large batches--then pack up a lunch portion right after dinner for ease.
8. Be cautious of condiments. Mayo, ketchup. dressings, dips, & spreads often contain unhealthy oils, GMO’s, and tend to be high in sugar.
Try making your own DIY version (like this ketchup recipe from Dr. Axe)
NUTTY/FRUITY ROLL-UPS. Simply grab your (sprouted, gluten free, etc.) wrap of choice (we luvAlvarado Bakery, Ezekiel, etc.) and spread with a little organic nut butter, raw nutella, chocolate hummus, or non dairy cream cheese. Then, add sliced bananas, berries, shredded coconut, nuts & seeds---then, Roll like a burrito.
HUMMUS ROLL UPS.Spread wrap of choice with a little of your favorite hummus, layer some fresh veggies (carrots, spinach, sprouts, etc.). Sprinkle with a few almonds & sunflower seeds. Roll it up & enjoy!
WATER—Add some frozen fruit to your filtered water—it keeps your drink cold & adds amazing flavor. Try infusing your water with raspberries, strawberries, oranges, watermelon, cucumbers, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, etc.
ORGANIC GREEN JUICE—we like to packSujafor an on-the-go juice.